Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Season of Will



Blog 13
In My Ears – The Band – The Last Waltz

For you Marissa…..


I long ago gave up any affiliation with the “Church” and religion in general.  I believe in many things and still have an unwavering faith in the inherent goodness in people; but there is one observance that I still hold onto – Lent - 40 days and 40 nights of prayer and self denial…in other words a super fun time!!!!  I have a new take on Lent and you will see why I love it…Years ago I had an inclination to attend Ash Wednesday mass and wear the badge of repentance…don’t ask me why, because I still don’t know…Seated behind a huge pillar in a packed Cathedral, we were unable to see the Service, but no worries all was ticking along as expected until the sermon began…. I cannot even begin to tell you what it was that the priest was saying, but what I can be sure of is that I will never forget the sound and inflection of his voice.  This had to be a joke…could Will Ferrell really be here trying out a new character.  Elbowing Marissa, I had to share this observation…giggles gave way to laughter and the rest of the mass was a blur.  From that moment on Lent became synonymous with Will Ferrell, which soon gave birth to “THE SEASON OF WILL”.  The Season of Will is something I now look forward to every year…no more denial for me…I give up WILLPOWER for Lent…it is a wild ride – 40 days and 40 nights of debauchery and pure indulgence; great parties, vacations, anything goes…Mardi Gras never ends…You can have as much cow bell as you want!!!! So as I count down to February 17th, feel free to spend some time pondering the wonders of The Season of Will – we will kick it off with a pancake feast on the 16th and wake the next day with full bellies and a world of possibilities in front of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment