Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Listen

Blog – 5 –
In My Ears – Neil Young / Ray LaMontagne



















This picture (Michelle and Pekka – Finland January 2010 – Living in The Gray) inspired today’s contribution.

Michelle posted this photo yesterday and told me that they are “Living in The Gray”…I love it Big Gray – Little People…but that was not my first thought upon receiving this picture…there were no words swirling around in my head, but rather my brain was filled with noise, or should I say a sound…one of my most favourite sounds… the crackle at the end of an album…I then started to picture the needle skipping across and the sound grew louder and louder in my head. If I close my eyes now I can still see Michelle and Pekka walking further into the gray as the sound fades away. I then started to reminisce about how much I miss vinyl…memories of rifling through my parent’s albums, discovering Led Zeppelin for the first time. Hours were spent being hypnotized by the covers. My favourite albums – Joni Mitchell “Blue”; Neil Young “Harvest”, The Rolling Stones “Sticky Fingers” and James Taylor “Mud Slide Slim and The Blue Horizon”, have long ago been replaced by cassettes, then cds and now mp3s, but they will never sound as good or evoke quite the same emotions as they do when heard on vinyl. Can you hear it…the album is over…the needle continues to skip across at the end…it is just the perfect conclusion to a magical listening experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, great blogging L. Thanks for using our pic..the silence whilst walking over the sea was eerily (is that a word) pleasing - walking into the abyss. GRAINY - that is what i hear or white noise and i love it too.
    So, I see you too in the pic, living in the grey...look closely!

    ReplyDelete