Saturday, January 30, 2010

Book ‘em Danno!

Blog 17
In My Ears - David Bowie

This is a bit of a continuation from JC’s blog about the new Apple iPad…I refuse to extol the virtues of Apple because really, I don’t give a shit…it was JC’s love of books that got me thinking…I too am a lover of books…I love to be the first one to crack the spine of a book… I could spend hours in a book store and possibly days in a used book store hunting for hidden treasures where I am sometimes treated to a beautiful inscription…I love the ceremony of turning the pages, sometimes as quickly as possible to get to the next page…there is a sense of accomplishment and sometimes sadness when you turn that very last page…I have on more than one occasion flipped the book over and read it again. I often have 3 or 4 books on the go at the same time…jumping back and forth between them depending on what the mood of the day is. W. Somerset Maugham’s, Of Human Bondage is my most favourite book, and I have read it once a year for the last 20 years…so I was very dubious of the e-reader when I received it as a gift last year…I quickly dismissed it as a great gift idea but not for me…I was wrong. I now have a library of books at my fingertips…my carry on luggage can actually be carried now that it is not ladened down with books…it is so convenient and a great addition to my life…I am still a ferocious purchaser of books and some books can only be appreciated on paper… but…an e-reader is a great companion to my books and will never be a replacement for them

2 comments:

  1. Good point; maybe there's room in my world for both too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pekka and I are huge book lovers, and are continually trying to find more space to house them. Yet, I bought him an e-reader for Christmas and he loves it. The portability is great for work-travel. For someone like him, who reads about 2 books a week - there is no better gift. Plus the house is SERIOUSLY overflowing with books...

    ReplyDelete